Win95 problem

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Tue Feb 17 16:30:08 GMT 1998

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:31:04 +1100, you wrote:

>>In the Network settings in the Control panel there is a section where you
>>select Windows login, network client etc. That's obviously different in
>>the two.
>
>Sadly not...  The two both have Client for Microsoft Networks as primary
>logon and both are set up identically.  I've used the poledit tool on the
>95 cdrom to verify that the network config is identical.  As I said before,
>the only difference I can detect is in the histories of the two systems.
>So in one of them there is loads of stuff in win.ini and system.ini which
>doesn't exist in the other....
>
>Does anyone have a "standalone" system (i.e. modem only) with which you can
>successfully mount Samba shares over the Internet?  And if so, does it
>insist that you "logon to the network" when you boot it?

If your going to supply the same username and a null password all the time,
there really isn't much point in setting it to use Client for M$ Networks
as it's primary logon, 'Windows Logon' will do just fine, then (so long as
you don't have multiple user profiles setup and put in a null password) it
will only ever prompt you for a username and password when you Start ->
Shutdown -> Close all programs and logon as a different user. This won't
solve your problem directly, but it'll stop that stupid dialog coming up.

Okay onto the problem with the other machine, have you tried Start ->
Shutdown -> Close all programs and logon as a different user? Have you
tried uninstalling and re-installing 'Client for M$ Networks'?

Simon Hyde