nmbd across subnets with different subnet masks?

Ronan Waide waider at cognotec.com
Fri Feb 13 13:12:10 GMT 1998

Hiho,

I've poked through doco, archives and logfiles trying to sort this one
out. I suspect I may be attempting the impossible:

Our network has a few subnets. The main subnet has a mask of
255.255.255.224; the domain controller lives here, along with many
useful fileshares and the WINS box. My pesky little samba server
(UltraSparc running Solaris 2.5.1, most recent version of Samba) sits
on one of the other subnets, with a mask of 255.255.255.0. My problem
is that Samba can't seem to find anything on the main subnet. This
means that nmblookup, for example, can't find the WINS box in order to
ask it names and such. Also, the password server can't be contacted to
verify passwords, so I have to resort to local password maintenance
instead.

I suspect I may be attempting the impossible here, since I believe
NetBIOS relies heavily on broadcasts? and the differing subnet masks
are preventing broadcasting from working across the 'nets?

I'd appreciate some help on this if at all possible.

Regards,
Waider.
--
waider at cognotec.com / Cognotec / +353-1-6766455 / +353-1-6766500 ( Fax )
          HTML:CGI - MSDOS:Windows 3.x:Windows 95:Windows NT