subnet/browsing/ different workgroups

Brian Fernald fernald at nsi.edu
Thu Feb 12 17:06:47 GMT 1998

Okay... Taking the much appreciated advice of Tim Winders, I added a Samba
Server (DMB) to our second subnet. My network setup now looks like :

|-----------Subnet A
|           Workgroup :  LAB
|           All WIN95 machines (clients)
|           SAMBA SERVER (DMB)  <--------newly added server
-
router
-

|-----------Subnet B
            Workgroup : ADMIN
            WINS SERVER / Samba Server / DMB
            WIN95 machines (clients)

Prior to adding the Samba Server in Subnet A, machines in subnet B could see
the LAB workgroup, but could not access them.  Machines in Subnet A could
see each other, and could see machines in Workgroup ADMIN.

Now that I have added the Samba Server and made it the domain master browser
for Subnet A, I have a whole set of new problems.  Now, machines in subnet A
can no longer see each other in the Network Neighborhood, nor can they see
the ADMIN workgroup.  All they have access to is a blank LAB workgroup
explorer.

Machines in Subnet B can now access the LAB workgroup, however there are no
machines within it.

I have made progress in that Subnet B machines can access the LAB workgroup
(though they cannot see the machines in it), but I have taken a step back in
that machines in Subnet A can no longer browse anything?

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Brian Fernald
fernald at nsi.edu