WINS syslog errors

David Hubbard dhubbard at peds-cme.med.usf.edu
Thu Feb 12 16:43:22 GMT 1998

Hello,
	I've got a problem with errors showing up in the syslog from nmbd.
Besides the errors, everything works great.  I'm running 1.9.18p2 on linux
with syslog support enabled. I think the problem is related to the fact
that the machine samba is running on, has the address of what used to be a
wins server.  I'm guessing that some machines around the office are still
set to use it as their wins server but it would not be easy for me to hunt
them all down.  Here's the error I am getting in syslog, I changed the
IP address to x's:

nmbd[26709]: process_name_refresh_request: uni cast name registration
request received for name DIALUP-1<00> from IP xxx.xxx.xx.xxx on subnet
UNICAST_SUBNET. Error - should be sent to WINS server

Any ideas on how to get nmbd to stop logging this?  It usually gets
a few hundred of these lines every few hours.

Thanks,

Dave