Integrating Samba and Netatalk.. :-)

William Peck x-6796 bpeck at cnc.com
Thu Feb 12 15:51:30 GMT 1998

Is it maybe possible to use the ROOT PRE EXEC of samba to handle netatalks
.Appledouble files?  I am just wondering how to handle PC's moving files
that were created on the mac.  Since if a PC user moves a file it won't
move the resource fork.  Now the mac can still access this file it just
don't know who created it...

But I don't see any variables that hold the current file name...  I was
thinking along the lines of...

mv_preexec = "applemv $orig_name $new_name"

I can't think of the exact syntax for the script right now, example...

This is what would be passed to the script...

$orig_name = "/home/users/user/testfile"
$new_name  = "/home/users/user/renamed"

mv /home/users/user/.appledouble/testfile /home/users/user/.appledouble/renamed

so with a combination of basename and sed you would stick the .appledouble
in..

I don't know if we would need a specific preexec for each command ( like
mv,cp, etc...) maybe a generic file access stub...

Is this too messy?  I would think it would be pretty easy and would not
impose netatalk onto samba..  Just makes Samba have the capability to work
with outside apps...