1.9.16-patched performance

Sundar Narasimhan sundar at ascent.com
Thu Feb 12 14:56:04 GMT 1998

Hi Jeremy: Does this mean that the right way to handle 100B-T networks
is to take out the TCP_NODELAY socket option? I'm curious why the
performance went down with the switch though.

I'll try out the patched version you suggest at some point.

Sundar Narasimhan wrote:

> Question re: 1.9.16-patched performance. Hi, I have samba (version
> indicated) running on Solaris 2.5.1. Recently we upgraded from 10B-T
> to 100B-T and now, I periodically notice that performance between
> samba and our NT SP3 clients slows down dramatically. Using snoop -- I
> see that NT writes large packets as before, but samba only sends
> packets that around 300-360 bytes. Needless to say this seems to be
> intermittent and quite frustrating.

Do you have TCP_NODELAY set as a socket option in your smb.conf ?

If so, this could cause the problem as every write from
Samba will then generate a packet.

Upgrading to 1.9.18p2 with oplock support will also
help greatly.

Regards,