Browsing/Subnets/ Workgroups >>

Peter de Groot pdgtech at wantree.net.au
Thu Feb 12 07:52:54 GMT 1998

> Interestingly, when inspecting the log files, samba appears to be
> doing the right thing, and the var/locks/browse.dat file on all of the
> master browsers lists all of the domains/workgroups

Further to last posting.

1. If you move a samba server on another subnet OUT of a
   cross network domain into its own domain, it is NOT deleted
   from browse.dat in the old domain.  A restart on the samba
   server with   WINS support seemed to clear that up.

2. I changed the WORKGROUP on my win95 PC to be the same as the
    samba servers, on my subnet with includes the WINS server, and voila
    all of the workgroups appeared, including the workgroups  from the
    other subnets.  It appears that the local browse masters on the
    other subnets which are pointed to my WINS server are doing the
right
    thing.

3.  The trouble is - the samba server (on another subnet) I moved to
    another domain - still appears in the old domain. It also appears
    in the new domain.

4.  If I did a "tail -f /usr/samba/var/log.nmb" on the
      WINS server/domain master browser ,
    and then did a view/refreshin explorer,  would I not see a query
    logged in the log file, as it tries to find the master browser
    for the domain ???  Currently I do not, even after re-booting the
    PC.  It is almost like it is getting the browse list from somewhere
    else....

Sorry for the length of this, and I hope it is not too confusing,
 but I am really puzzled.  TIA