How to handle both NT-SP3 and Lanman encryption?

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Feb 11 20:54:46 GMT 1998

> I configured and installed Samba with encryption enabled
> (libdes-4.01), samba-1.9.16p9 on my Linux 2.0.33 server. I also used
> "smbpasswd" to set user's password. However, I am able to connect
> from Win'95 client or from a Win-NT3.51 client using my password.
> From a NT 4.0 server with NT-ServicePack3 installed, I am unable to
> access Samba server.
>
> My guess is that the second password field in the smbpasswd file is
> not being used by samba.
> Anybody can give pointers as to the cause and possible fix to the
> problem?

Upgrade to the newest version of samba first.  By stating that you are
using libdes-4.01 I would assume you have an old version.  The
encryption support is buitl in now.

Also I am assuming that you do have encrypt password = yes in smb.conf
as well.  If not and you have not enabled the plain text password
registry setting ( see docs/NT4_PlainPassword.reg ), then you would
experince the problems you are describing.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )