Password verification for remote printing

Kitty Ferguson ferguson at jabba.hao.ucar.edu
Wed Feb 11 16:55:37 GMT 1998

Hi,

We're running Windows'95 on our PCs, with our Samba File server a Sun Ultra 2.
Recently we found that printing to our remote printers from our PCs was failing
intermittently. Printing would sometimes require password verification, other
times not, then print jobs would be queued, showing up in the print spooler, but
would not print.

This started occuring about the time I made some changes in the smb.conf file,
changing the name of our server from Samba Server to FileServer and changing our
password server to jabba ( password server= jabba ), the Ultra 2.

Evidently the lack of a space between "server" and "=" makes a difference!

So, I changed:

   password server= jabba
   password server = jabba

This is the only thing that has been modified on the FileServer config since
working on this. We are now getting the password verification as we should and
printing is working again smoothly.

Is there a way to stop and restart the Samba server without rebooting the
machine? I tried a kill -HUP on the process but that didn't work. Yet the change
I made did take effect when printing was requested.

I want to investigate this a bit further as I'm wondering if the smb.conf file
is read with each new session to the FileServer? I can't find anything in the
docs or FAQ. Can anyone shed any light on this one? I thought it was only read
when the system rebooted or the server was restarted.

Kitty

--Kitty Ferguson		System Administrator - CSMT
ferguson at hao.ucar.edu		NCAR - High Altitude Observatory
tel: (303)497-1556		P.O. Box 3000
fax: (303)497-1589		Boulder, CO 80307-3000