SAMBA digest 1586

Seth Vidal skvidal at ehc.edu
Wed Feb 11 01:04:01 GMT 1998

> Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:41:13 +0100
> We are using samba-1.9.18p2 on unix boxes (Linux,Sun,AIX) for connection
> with our NT 4.0 clients.On NT client are only two users - root and
> student with mandatory profile.

> Student is a standard user and in his autostart folder is a small qbasic
> programm. So after NT Login there is another SAMBA login where student
> will be asked for his unix username and password and then connected with
> winapps, public and his home. It is possible to configure different
> windows application in such way that all preferences etc are saved on
> H:\- unix home connected with samba. On unix side we are using Netscape
> for our email.
yes there is but it requires some at-login registry hacks.

I'm using samba as our primary NOS here at Emory & Henry. All our users use
netscape 3.02 or 4.04 communicator.
Many use netscape messenger some use eudora.

All you do is set the registry/ini files so that they point to the H:\
drive.

I'll give you some examples

set all your client workstations to one user profile under communicator 4.04
called default then make this registry additon
these lines are going to broken up so just bear with me.
delete the following values after making the initial default user:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Users\Default","EmailAddr"
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Users\Default","UserName"

Additionally read the prefs.js file that is stored (by default in the
netscape profile homedir)

Check out all the settings in HKLM\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Users
in the registry.

for win 3.11 users check the netscape.ini settings in the winroot dir and
the drive where all netscape binaries are stored.

additionally look at:
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\User Shell Folders
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Shell Folders

this sets default locations like start menu buttons and startup files and My
Documents dir etc etc etc.

I would also suggest using KIX as your logon script processor:
http://netnet.net/~swilson/kix/

Hope this helps.

I've gotten our systems laid out so every thing is , by default, stored on
the users H:\ Drive.

good luck.

-sv
Seth Vidal