Browsing/Subnets/ Workgroups

Brian Fernald fernald at nsi.edu
Tue Feb 10 21:03:21 GMT 1998

Our network is setup as follows :

|-----------Subnet A
|           Workgroup :  LAB
|           All WIN95 machines (clients)

-
router
-

|-----------Subnet B
            Workgroup : ADMIN
            WINS SERVER / Samba Server
            WIN95 machines (clients)

All of our win95 machines point to the Samba server as the WINS server and
fileserver.  Machines in Subnet B  can see the LAB workgroup icon in the
network neighborhood, but access it (error :  LAB is not accessible. The
computer or sharename could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly,
and try again)  ......   If I change the network property of a computer in
Subnet A to be in workgroup ADMIN (i don't physically remove the machine
from Subnet A, but only change the workgroup setting in network properties),
then computers in Subnet B can access the computer in Subnet A with no
problem.

The problem, therefore, seems to be having a different workgroup in a
separate subnet?  Does anyone have advice concerning this problem. The
relevant portions of my smb.conf follows :

[global]

   workgroup = ADMIN
   debug level =3
   log level = 3