NT 'Start' button hanging

Corey M. Wirun cmwirun at comcept.com
Tue Feb 10 16:10:43 GMT 1998

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded an NT4.0 to SP3.  I applied the registry file to allow
for clear-text passwords.  Now I've noticed that when I log in, if I hit the start
button immediately after getting the desktop, the machine hangs for a
couple of minutes, then the start menu is displayed.  The machine is
hung during this time.

Is there a reason why this happens?  My Win95 clients don't do this. It
seems like something is timing out...

On the NT box, I've got this TCP/IP protocol config:

IP Address: <assigned, no dhcp>
DNS: <samba machine address>
WINS server: <samba machine address>
Enable DNS for Windows Resolution: enabled
Enable LMHOSTS: disabled
I've included the global section from my smb.conf file.  The machine
is running AIX with samba-1.9.18p2.

Thanks is advance for any advice.
Corey M. Wirun

-------------------
workgroup = COMCEPT

[global]
	debuglevel = 3
	log file = /var/adm/log/samba/log.%m
	lock directory = /var/adm/log/samba/locks

	time server = yes

	share modes = yes
	security = user
	printing = aix
	printcap name = /etc/qconfig
	load printers = yes
	guest account = nobody
	hosts allow = 136.124., 134.131.
	preferred master = yes

"This, of course, is impossible..." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Corey M. Wirun, Senior Systems Engineer Comcept Canada (Calgary)
           cmwirun at comcept.com, cmwirun at cadvision.com