Win95 Password Change from client

Sean E. Millichamp sean at compu-aid.com
Mon Feb 9 15:21:06 GMT 1998

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Martin McGannon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently setup Samba-1.9.18p2 on Server running FreeBSD
> 2.2.5-Stable. In the Makefile we specified the
> -DALLOW_CHANGE_PASSWORD parameter in the OPsys specific section. I
> have tried to do an NET PASS \\Server_name but in the Workstation Log
> on the Server the original and changed password are always uppercased
> and the message given is that the password doen'st match the
> original. Can anyone help on this? Urgent!!!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin McGannon

Hello,

By any chance are you using Win 95 OSR2 when you try to change the
password?  OSR2 (for some reason known only to M$) uppercases all
clear-text passwords it sends.  I haven't tried the password changing
routine yet, but my guess is it also uppercases them.  I think I've heard
that if you are using encrypted passwords then this problem doesn't occur.

Best,
Sean

 Sean E. Millichamp, Consultant
 Ingematics - A Division of Compu-Aid, Inc.
 Voice: 810-756-8000, Fax: 810-756-8004
 sean at compu-aid.com