Unified password file

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Wed Feb 4 09:51:00 GMT 1998

At 12:12 03-02-98 +1100, samba-list at zimage.com wrote:
>Hello,
>        Does anyone know how to unify the /etc/passwd and NT style
>passwords in SAMBA?  It seems like this is going to be more and more
>important when the NTDOM stuff gets release at some point in time.
>        I've thought about it and can come up with:
>
>                o Create a smbpasswd file and use the SMB PAM module
>                to authenticate everyone.
>                o Just use the less secure passwords.
>                o Create a new unified passwd system file for Unix.
>                Can it still be used with NIS/NIS+, etc?
>                o.Make a new module for NT/Win95 systems that is more
>                compatible with SAMBA/Unix.
>                o Wait for MS to adopt Kerberos.
>
>        Is there any other ideas?

Implement KerbNet (Kerberos 5). You don't need to wait for M$. In fact,
they'll probably do something M$ proprietary anyway (like they did
MS-CHAP). KerbNet has Win95, WinNT, and MAC clients. I'm implementing now,
with SSH for strong host authentication.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail:		mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Personalweb pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:	http://www.mhsc.com/