Status questions

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Wed Feb 4 03:53:55 GMT 1998

Hi all.  I'm interested in what the current status of samba is, and what
changes I have to make to my network in order to implement it to its
fullest extent.

I currently have it serving about 10 NT 3.51/4.0 Workstation machines from
a Linux box.  There is no NT server on the network.

My questions are as follows:

1.  Is there any effort underway for a browser-based or windows-based
configuration utility for /etc/smb.conf?  What do people do for normal
administration of users?  Must there be an unix admin available for this?

2.  Is there currently any progress on the domain controller work, or any
other way to manage NT workstation machines and the users on them, instead
of having to add the same user and password to each machine?

I think I'll leave it there for now. I'd really appreciate any ideas
someone might have.

Thanks,
Dave Wreski