Help with write list

David J. Streb dstreb at ci.fitchburg.ma.us
Wed Feb 4 01:26:38 GMT 1998

I don't get it.  Everything I've read, I should be able to write to my
[public] share on the Samba server that is using the following smb.conf
file.  (see [public] section).  But I can't!  Neither can the other two
people listed under "write list"  Am I doing something wrong?  See below:

[global]
   encrypt passwords = no
   workgroup=PLAN
   printing = sysv
   printcap name = /etc/sambaprintcap
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   guest ok = yes
   logfile = /export/home/dstreb/sambalog

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   guest ok = no
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0777
   writable = yes

[public]
   comment = Public Stuff
   path = /data/data
   public = yes
   writable = no
   printable = no
   write list= dstreb, tsmith, esacon

[printers]
  browseable = yes
  writable=no
  public=yes
  printable=yes
  create mode = 0700

Samba 1.9.16p11 on a Sun Sparc20 running Solaris 2.5.1  Clients on Win95
and WinNT.  Otherwise no problems with Samba, but I'd really like to allow
three users to write to [public] and restrict everyone else to read only
access.  Thanks for whatever help anyone can provide me.

David J. Streb  City of Fitchburg, MA  dstreb at ci.fitchburg.ma.us
http://www.net1plus.com/users/fitchburg