Password Problems on Solaris 2.5.1

Timothy Gardner tsg at bu.edu
Tue Feb 3 02:02:36 GMT 1998

I installed samba for the first time on a Solaris 2.5.1 server.  The
samba server is visible on our windows NT network and I can access our
NT server using smbclient.  However, when I try to access the Samba
server using smbclient, I get the following error message:

Password:
-- Domain=[CBD-NT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18]
security=user
first SMBtconX failed, trying again. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -
name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in
a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase

The samba log contains these messages

02/02/1998 20:53:37 changed root to /
netbios connect: name1=BANDIT           name2=BANDIT
Allowed connection from bandit (128.197.181.175) to IPC$
rejected invalid user guest
02/02/1998 20:53:40 invalid username/password for ipc$
Allowed connection from bandit (128.197.181.175) to IPC$
rejected invalid user guest
02/02/1998 20:53:40 invalid username/password for ipc$
Closing connections

I've read and tried everything on the DIAGNOSIS.txt. I've tried every
level of security.  I've tried using the NT workgroup server to
authenticate the passwd.  I've tried adding and removing the allow hosts
parameter.  I've tried several usernames. And I've read through the
digest archives.  But I've found nothing that helps.

Thanks,

Tim