Can't delete files problem is back

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Mon Feb 2 19:01:33 GMT 1998

Charles wrote:

> In the 1.9.17 series I had a problem with fake oplocks where if a file was
> opened by an application, then closed, the oplock would stay and not allow the
> file to be deleted, renamed, etc.   A win95 dialog box would come up and say
> that I didn't have write permission or it was in use by another application.
>
> The problem went away in 1.9.18p0 and p1 by switching to real oplocks, but
> has now returned again in p2.
>
> Here is what smbstatus shows for the lock, even after the application has been
> closed for some time:
> 23585  DENY_NONE  RDONLY     EXCLUSIVE+BATCH  file.txt

Charles,

	Windows 95 seems to keep hold of batch
oplocks long after the file has been closed by
the application.

I have a fix for this that causes Samba to
break oplocks when it is attempting to open
a file and has run out of entries in the
files table. This will be in 1.9.18p3.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.