NT/SAMBA Password Synchronization

Selim Jose Miselem selim at opensys.hn
Mon Feb 2 01:21:51 GMT 1998

Hello all,

SAMBA 1.9.18p2 on UnixWare 2.1.2

I have the following problem:

I have setup SAMBA for domain logons for Windows 95 PCs. This part is
working fine.

I set in smb.conf encryption = no and all the users passwords are
validated against /etc/passwd and not
/usr/local/samba/privite/smbpasswd.

Then, a few days ago I added an NT 4.0 server (with service pack 3).
THis server was configured as a PDC.

This NT server refuses to see the SAMBA shares, even though I installed
the patch, mentioned in the SAMBA docs, to make this NT server accept
clear text passwords.

If I set, in smb.conf, encryption = yes, then NT can see the SAMBA
shares, BUT then I have to use /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.

I do not want to use encryption because the users will have to manage
two passwords for the Unix box: One for SAMBA and another for Unix
logins.

Also, ONLY one user is using the NT server!!!

Today I thought that the problem could be solved if I re-install the NT
server as a file/print server, and not PDC.

What can I do?

Thanx in advance for your help.

Selim

--