Problems with SMB.CONF (2nd)

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Fri Dec 25 10:43:08 GMT 1998

Majid,

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998 17:39:22 +0100, Robert Dahlem wrote:

>Majid,

>Your logs show clearly that samba is using "./dev" instead of "/dev". As far as I
>remember there is a hint in "man smb.conf" that one has to experiment a little
>with i.e. "./dev" and so on.

>Would you please be so kind: try this and report about your (non-)success?

Ok, I messed around a little: It's indeed a little confusing because it depends on
the behaviour of the client.

For getting an image of what is really happening, you can try the following: In
trans2.c are two matches on "dirpath=<%s> dontdescend=<%s>". They both normally go
for debug level 8. I lowered that to 2, recompiled and restarted smbd.

Then I made a connection, found out (with smbstatus) the associated PID and send a
"kill -USR1 <PID>" to raise the debug level to 2 (I normally run with level 1).

Then I browsed around a little and watched log.smb filling with lines like

	dirpath=<proc> dontdescend=</proc,./proc>

So the clue was to add "dont descend = proc,/proc,./proc" to my smb.conf.

The man page is totally correct where it says:

	Note that Samba can be very fussy about the  exact  format
	of  the  "dont  descend" entries.

:-)

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)