signal 6 compiling passdb.c?

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Dec 22 20:14:40 GMT 1998

When the world was young, Eric <readalot at skinny.iswnet.com> carved
some runes like this:

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:19:10 -0800 (PST)

> I am consistently getting a signal 6 error compiling passdb.c
> on a certain machine. It seems to compile fine on other machines
> so I wonder if it might be hardware related?
>
> Compiling passdb/passdb.c
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6
> make: *** [passdb/passdb.o] Error 1
>
> Since it seems to be machine specific I have to assume hardware
> but I don't have problems with other software. It's a Slackware
> 3.4 installation, perhaps that's relevant.

What happens when you compile something large (like the linux
kernel)?  I assume you've read the Sig11 FAQ.

I've had the sig11 problem from bad cache on the motherboard (also
reproducible with the redhat and windoze install programs), but
also from a broken gcc/glibc (redhat 5.0) on a cyrix CPU.  Any more
details?

Stephen L Arnold                             sarnold at earthling.net

"A mime is a terrible thing to waste..."  -  Mel Brooks