Problems with SMB.CONF

Majid Tajamolian majid at bol.sharif.ac.ir
Mon Dec 21 14:59:42 GMT 1998

Hi everyone,
I installed SAMBA-1.9.18p10 on my computer which is a LINUX 2.0.30 and
configure it with the following smb.conf file:

========================================================== BEGIN
[global]
   load printers = no

   guest account = nobody
   workgroup = SAMBA
   wins proxy = no
   wins server = 194.225.42.33

   log level = 1
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m.%a
   max log size = 500

   max xmit = 8448
   read size = 3072
   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

; The followings 3 methods are not valid!
; SEE PROBLEM No.2
;   hosts allow = *.bol.sharif.ac.ir
;   hosts allow = .bol.sharif.ac.ir
;   hosts allow = 194.225.42.*
   hosts allow = 194.225.42.
   dead time = 15
   getwd cache = yes
   mangled names = no
   map archive = no
   preferred master = yes
   preserve case = yes
   read prediction = true
   server string = SAMBA %v on the %h
   time offset = 210

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0650
   hide dot files = no

[root]
   comment = SOBHAN root file system
   path = /
   read only = no
   admin users = majid,root
   dont descend = /proc , /dev , /lost+found

[tmp]
   comment = Temporary space
   path = /tmp
   readonly = no
   writeable = yes
   public = yes
===================================================== END

I have 3 problems:

1. Win95 and NT clients can not browse this machine even after 30 minutes.
2. As you see above, if I use a domain detector except with the format
   "194.225.42." , clients on our LAN can not see my machine or connect to
   it.
3. The "dont descend" parameter for the "root" share name has not any
   effect!

Can someone help me?!

-- Cheers,
   M. Tajamolian