wins.dat contains 127.0.0.1 for local server

Mike Holling myke at ees.com
Sat Dec 19 12:34:44 GMT 1998

I couldn't really find anything about this in the archives, sorry if it's
been beat to death.  I've got a Debian Linux box running kernel 2.0.33.
The machine has two ethernet cards and does NAT between a LAN and a cable
modem link.  For some reason, it's got 127.0.0.1 listed for its name:

root at spruce:/var/samba>cat wins.dat
"SPRUCE#20" 914324043 127.0.0.1 46R
"SPRUCE#03" 914324043 127.0.0.1 46R
"SPRUCE#00" 914324043 127.0.0.1 46R
"GIGI#00" 914324043 255.255.255.255 c4R
"GIGI#1e" 914324043 255.255.255.255 c4R
"GIGI#1b" 914096552 127.0.0.1 44R

The correct address should be 192.168.1.1.  I have "interface
192.168.1.1/24" in my smb.conf.  The system otherwise works fine, but when
a windows machine does a "Find Computer" it gets the bogus 127.0.0.1 from
the WINS server.  Other Samba servers can find it by its correct IP
address.  I started digging through the source but couldn't find where
nmbd initially generated this information.

- Mike