oplock_break: client failure in break - shutting down

Bruce Tenison btenison at dibbs.net
Sat Dec 19 01:11:57 GMT 1998

> On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Bruce Tenison wrote:
>
> > What really bothers me is the section concerning the oplock_break
> > problems.  It seems that everything churns along fine with no noticable
> > speed decrease until these messages start cropping up in the log files.
> > We have roaving profiles and desktops, and once these messages start
> > appearing in the log files, things screech to a halt, and most (if not
> > all) of the computers will "halt".  As you can see the share that is
> > causing the problem here is the virus share (F-SECURE anti-virus
> > communication directory)
>
> 	Are oplocks needed on that share?  Have you tried turning them
> off?  If you're simply running the F-SECURE program from there, you
> shouldn't need oplocks.

I'm pretty sure that they're needed, since the clients don't actually run
the software from there, but they use the share to check for updates to
the AV files, and report back to the Administration station via the share
on any located viruses.  Works really nice, when it works ;)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of oplocks?!?!?

I've looked in my logs, and I see different machines with different OSs
(Win 95, 95B, 98, and 95 SR1+extra updates) still giving the

samba-log.tenison:[1998/12/18 10:37:33, 0] smbd/oplock.c:oplock_break(734)
samba-log.tenison:  oplock_break: receive_smb timed out after 30 seconds.
samba-log.tenison:  oplock_break failed for file COMM.INF (dev = 301,
inode = 620605).

Thanks!

Bruce Tenison
btenison at dibbs.net

All the world's a stage, and we are merely players