Net help analyzing logfiles: Printer permissions in Domain

Marc Haber Marc.Haber-lists at gmx.de
Wed Dec 16 22:51:34 GMT 1998

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:52:36 +1100, you wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Dec 1998 01:03:19 +1100, Marc Haber wrote:
>>When I try to access the printer with my own username, it works fine.
>>As soon as I have the account that is destined to do the printing
>>print, it can't log in.
>
>I'm not quite sure if this opens a security hole: Did you try to setup your share
>with "public = yes"?

|[global]
|   workgroup = mydomain
|   guest account = nobody
|   keep alive = 30
|   os level = 2
|   security = server
|   password server = pdc
|   load printers = no
|   log file = /var/log/samba
|   debug level = 3
|   local master = no
|   preferred master = no
|   public = no
|   os level = 0
|   server string = Internet-Gateway
|
|   bind interfaces only = true
|
|   wins support = no
|
|   wins server = pdc
|   interfaces = 192.168.10.10/255.255.255.0
|
|[dasiPDruck]
|  comment = Protokoll-"Drucker" für Datensicherung
|  path = /var/spool/samba
|  read only = true
|  writeable = no
|  printable = true
|  public = no
|  browseable = yes
|  print command = cat %s | mail -s Druckausgabe mh
|  valid users = mh asback

>Your logs show that samba changes the account to the guest account ("nobody") when
>it does not find the user validated by the password server in its local
>/etc/passwd.

I have come to that conclusion too.

mh is my account. This account is present in the NT domain, in
/etc/passwd and smbpasswd. asback is the user that should do the
printing in production service; this account currently is only present
in the NT domain. I have thought that the whole concept of integrating
a samba box into an NT domain is about not having to enter every NT
account into /etc/passwd manually.

>It might be worth checking if "valid users" is checked before or after "public =
>yes" or if this opens the share to everyone.

How do I do that?

Greetings
Marc