mounting an arbitrary directory?

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Wed Dec 16 21:55:51 GMT 1998

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Scott D. Webster wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Steve Hsieh wrote:
>
> > 1. Is there a reason why '_' is used instead of '/'?
>
> 	Uhh... "Because?"  ;-)  Likely an arbitrary programmer decision.

I would guess it's most likey done this way so it doesn't scream 'break
into me'. The underscores look so much more sharename-ish, /usr/local/bin
looks like exactly what it is: a UNIX path.

> 	Well, I'm not completely sure what all the implications are, but
> you're opening up a bigger hole, so be carefull.  Using defined shares
> lets you control what users can get to, where as allowing arbitrary file
> access give less control.  Definiately make absolutely sure that no one to
> whom you do not want to get access is getting it.

Agreed. If you just want to get to /usr/local, share it that way. If it's
/etc, share that. I only share the root on my home box because I am
terribly lazy at home. ;)

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753