NT 4.0SP4 and profile roaming

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Dec 16 17:58:27 GMT 1998

Hi,

I am using 1.9.18p7 with NT 4.0SP4 Workstation clients. No NT server is
involved (in my immediate neighbourhoud, there is one on my subnet though)

I wish to
1) move profiles from the NTs to the Unix home directory
2) Enable netlogons
3) Use smbpasswd from the NTs

1) fails, as it moans about too slow links to the server. Although asked to
download anyway it recreates a new account. Otherwise the mounting of samba
shares workes very fine. At the end of the session NT sais that saving
configuration failed.

2) How do I enable those under NT Workstation? I haven't seen a place for
turning this on. Only for changing workgroup to domain, but this is not what I
need, do I?

3) smbpasswd does not consult smb.conf for the password file. This is bad,
because the compiled in location now lies on read only file system
(/usr/local). This is also true for 1.9.18p10 (by looking at the
sources). Perhaps 2.x should correct this.

These are the relevant (I think) parts of my config:

security = USER
encrypt passwords = Yes
smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
logon script = login.bat
logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
logon drive = Z:
logon home = \\%N\%U
wins support = No
wins server = dirac
preferred master = No
local master = Yes
domain master = No
domain logons = Yes
[netlogon]
        path = /etc/netlogon

Could it be that there is another WINS server lurking in my net? How do I find
out whether this is so, and could this be the cause of trouble?

Thanks, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de Axel.Thimm at ifh.de