mounting an arbitrary directory?

Scott D. Webster swebster at carroll.com
Wed Dec 16 16:53:40 GMT 1998

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> Thank you to everyone who responded to this.  A couple of followup
> questions if you don't mind (since I currently don't have the book that
> apparently is well recommended)
>
> 1. Is there a reason why '_' is used instead of '/'?

	Uhh... "Because?"  ;-)  Likely an arbitrary programmer decision.

> 2. What kind of security implications are there? What additional risks are
>    there that make this more risky than a regular unix user accessing an
>    arbitrary directory?

	Well, I'm not completely sure what all the implications are, but
you're opening up a bigger hole, so be carefull.  Using defined shares
lets you control what users can get to, where as allowing arbitrary file
access give less control.  Definiately make absolutely sure that no one to
whom you do not want to get access is getting it.

Scott D. Webster                              swebster at carroll.com
Etc Services                                   Voice: 201.385.7113
Linux, Unix, & TCP/IP Network Consulting       Pager: 800.379.2402