Why does oplocks = False not seem to stop file cacheing?

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Wed Dec 16 08:13:08 GMT 1998

> Whatever I try the PC still shows me the old version of a file
> after I modify it on the unix side. If anyone can see anything
> wrong with my smb.conf file please let me know. Thanks in
> advance,

Do you mean, you open file on PC (e.g. with notepad), then _close_ it on PC,
modify on Unix, open _again_ on PC and still see the old content? I just did
it on samba-2.1prealpha from WinNT and it works O.K. Oplocks have nothing to
do with it, as they are hold only as long as file is open. If it does not
work for you - what OS/version etc do you have?

If you mean, you have file _opened_ on PC, modify on Unix, and wonder, why
it is not changed on PC - this is normal. Why should it change on PC? PC has
no way to know, that file was modified on Unix and never tries to update it.
As far as PC is concerned, file was fully read.

The point in setting oplocks off is to let _Unix_ see changes made on PC -
not other way round.

/andrej