how can i find out a netbios name from an IP address.

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Tue Dec 15 22:19:35 GMT 1998

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> You're in luck! I once was desirous of just such a thing myself and
> since it didn't exist (but I knew this was possible since you can do
> it in NT) I went ahead and wrote one myself. It's command line and you
> give it the IP of the machine and it spits out the name.

perfect. thank you very much.

is the source GPL or "open source" licensed? if so, i mighty package it
for debian...

does samba.org have a contrib/ directory somewhere for neat extras like
this?  if it doesn't it probably should.

> Actually I added a few more possibilities into it. I'll be happy
> to send you source but you'll need egcs and STL support since it's
> written in C++ and uses STL collection classes.

shouldn't be a problem. debian is nearly always up-to-date with the
latest stuff.

$ dpkg -l egcc g++ libstdc++2.9
||/ Name            Version        Description
ii  egcc            2.91.60-1      The GNU (egcs) C compiler.
ii  g++             2.91.60-1      The GNU (egcs) C++ compiler.
ii  libstdc++2.9    2.91.60-1      The GNU stdc++ library (egcs version)

craig

--
craig sanders