Samba and WINS

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Tue Dec 15 16:20:09 GMT 1998

Current situation:

a) lots of Windows NT 4.0 workstation clients

b) quite a few Samba 1.9.18p10 servers running on Suns

c) 1 Samba server running as WINS server

d) NO Windows Servers

e) 1:1 correspondance between Netbios names and DNS names

f) DHCP currently tells the Windows machines the WINS server.

Problem:

If WINS server goes down, every Windows NT workstation can not mount anything
from Samba.  This is bad for a 4 campus network.

My understanding (based on Samba docs & AEleen Frisch's book):

a) Each Windows machine will register its Netbios name - with WINS server - if
not there could use broadcast.

b) NT workstations can be told to resolve Netbios names through DNS (ie
through TCP Properties -> WINS).

c) The client Netbios names are not important.

Possible Solutions

a) Run NO WINS server (remove from DHCP & disable current one) & make sure all
clients use DNS to resolve Netbios names.

b) Alternatively we could run lots of WINS servers and rely on 1:1 mapping
between DNS & netbios to ensure no problems ... presumably could be stymied by
bad clients or configuration goof ups.