mounting an arbitrary directory?

Scott D. Webster swebster at carroll.com
Tue Dec 15 13:57:37 GMT 1998

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to specify an arbitrary unix directory to be mounted from
> samba? For example, to mount /usr/local/bin ?  Using a different smb
> server, I've seen the ability to do this by doing something like
>
> Connect to:  \\smbserver\/usr/local/bin
> Connect as: user
> Password:   ****
>
> In other words, I'd like to be able to specify the exact path I'd like to
> mount without having to explicity put it in smb.conf. (Permissions would
> of course be subject to whatever the permissions the user has in
> unixland).

	It can be done, but it's not generally reccomended. IIRC, it
involes putting "*" as the share name (or or the path or something like
that) and using _'s instead of /'s (ie "\\smbserver\_usr_local_bin_").
It's in John Blair's samba book.

Scott D. Webster                              swebster at carroll.com
Etc Services                                   Voice: 201.385.7113
Linux, Unix, & TCP/IP Network Consulting       Pager: 800.379.2402