Shadow passwords

Roman Blöth bloeth at gosub.de
Mon Dec 14 14:53:46 GMT 1998

Dear samba-list!

I just upgraded our linux-file server from the last samba version
(1.19.-something??) to the 2.0beta3 since the speed-up effect seemed
worth a try. I did this over the weekend to keep our network functional
workdays...

But now I've seen that only me can write and read properly from the
different shares. The other users (I set up user level security as
before) have some strange problems like out of the program "homesite
(win95)" another user can only save the file after the third try.

The first try gives an ERROR: unable to save file...

The second try gives an FILE NOT FOUND - error

and then the third try will actually save the file...

So when all other users log into the network using my own name and
password, everything seems to work fine.

Now I think perhaps this is a shadow password problem, since I use
shadow passwords. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere in the
documentation, where I can set up the Makefile or configuration for
shadow password support.

Perhaps someone here can help me?!

Best regards and thanks in advance,
Roman.