Samba as NBNS for an OS/2 network

Brian R. Landy brlandy at anet-stl.com
Thu Dec 10 19:35:18 GMT 1998

I'm trying to set up Samba (1.9.18p10) to work as an NBNS in a Warp Server network.  I have the
machine (running RedHat 5.2) set up, and nmbd is registering the names of OS/2 workstations and
servers.  If I do a local logon at a workstation, I can NET USE, etc. to any of the servers,
including the DC.  However, a domain logon fails - the domain controller can't be contacted.  I
have turned on LM Announce.

The domain controller is called RAHTEST1, domain RAHTEST.  It registers these names:

"RAHTEST#00"
"RAHTEST1#00"
"RAHTEST1#03"
"RAHTEST1#20"

The domain is given an IP address of 255.255.255.255, the rest IP addresses of the server.  I'm
not relaly concerned with using Samba as an SMB server itself (at this time), I just want it to
provide NBNS services.  We do have a routed IP network, and the DC, workstation, and Redhat box
are on different subnets.  The OS/2 systems are configured as P-Node (use NBNS, no broadcasts).
Thanks a lot!

Brian Landy
brlandy at anet-stl.com