Virus checker gets error "Network Name was deleted" ?

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at csfb.com
Tue Dec 8 15:52:04 GMT 1998

hi,

Has anyone encountered problems running virus checkers on NT4+sp3
clients against Samba served drives ? We recently upgraded
a samba server to 1.9.18p10 and now have an intermittent problem
where during the scan of Samba drive the virus check flakes out
with the error;
	"Network Name was deleted"

I'm told that the server still appears to be browsable after this
error, and the only adverse effect is to halt the virus scan.
There is no record of any event in the Samba logs, although debug
level is only 0.  I have been unable to convince the people
concerned to turn this up.

The network is running a non-standard subnet mask - 20/12 bit split.
Server is a Sun Sparcstation running Solaris 2.5.1 - with all
recommended patches.

The virus checking software is Inoculan v4.00 - though I'm not
convinced this is the problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

---
Andrew Gray, Global Engineering            Email: andrew.gray at csfb.com
Credit Suisse-First Boston (Europe)        Voice: +44 171 888 8194
One Cabot Square,  LONDON E14 4QJ            Fax: +44 171 888 4958