samba auto startup

Paul L. Lussier plussier at BayNetworks.COM
Mon Dec 7 17:55:48 GMT 1998

In a message dated: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 01:58:24 +1100
Kamal Ahmed said:

>I need confirmation on the following :
>
>I have added the following line in /etc/inittab
>
>samba:234:once:/usr/local/bin/samba.startup
>
>I am using HP-UX 11.x
>
>is this correct ?. The purpose i am trying to acheive is every time the =
>server reboots , it should start smbd and nmbd automatically.

I would just write a simple shell script and throw into /etc/init.d/.

Last I checked HP-UX was a sysV based system, and should therefore have
the sysV init script structure.  I stole the RedHat /etc/rc.d/init.d/samba
script and modified it to run on my Sun Solaris box here, and it works great.

I would definitely not put it in the inittab.  What happens when you want
to add or remove a share from smb.conf, you reboot?  With the init script
you can stop, start, restart, show status, etc.  It's great.
--

Seeya,
Paul
plussier at baynetworks.com
Broadband Technology Division - Bay Networks (now a Nortel Company, Eh? :)