IP address to WINS address?

Jan Kratochvil short at ucw.cz
Mon Dec 7 00:21:35 GMT 1998

> For example, I try to connect to a windows machine across the room from
> me, using only its IP address:
  Only by using an IP address is it impossible. (see next paragraph for
explanation) Maybe sending some netbios-ns name request to detect the name
first would work but I have no experience with it (and even don't know how
to do it with std Samba commands without writing my own).

> $ ./smbclient -L dummy -I 128.119.11.48
> Added interface ip=128.119.11.70 bcast=128.119.11.255 nmask=255.255.254.0
> session request to DUMMY failed
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed

  Are you sure that the server is REALLY named "dummy"? SMB protocol
insists on the name being called, although you already know the IP adress!
Use SMB-enabled tcpdump to discover the network chat (and the real reasons of
the request refuse).

							Lace