Linux printing to NT printer

James Hartley bojimbo at isat.com
Sun Dec 6 05:50:05 GMT 1998

Hi, I am using redhat 5.1 and want to print to an hp722c on a NT 4.0 box

with service pack 3 installed.  The printer works fine locally.  I have
created
a win-printer spooler on the redhat machine as a SMB printer to a share
on
the NT machine called //bob/hp720.  I created a printer on the NT
machine
called hp720 and shared it off as hp720 with the permissions everyone
full
control.

The printer setup on the redhat machine called for a user name and
password.
I used the username bob with no password. I created an account on the NT

machine called bob with no password.

Samba is installed and working, I can see unix shares in network
neighborhood and
I can print to a printer on the unix machine.  I can even share off unix
files to the
NT machine without any problems.

When I print to the //bob/hp720 share I see the print job arrive in the
printer queue on
the NT machine and appear to print only I get no output.  Event viewer
logs the
print job and the size of the file but states that the number of pages
printed is zero.

Can anyone tell what I might be doing wrong??  I know that others are
doing this
kind of thing properly.

Thanks Jimbo.