timezones not properly reflected on timestamps of files

Eric Knudstrup eknuds at extremenetworks.com
Sat Dec 5 17:26:01 GMT 1998

Here's the issue:
The timestamps used for smbfs (and most, if not all, of the DOS derived file
system formats) are stored in local time.  If you are using these file
systems acrossed time zones then I wouldn't expect to have much luck with
having the timestamps set correctly unless you set all of your systems to
the same time zone.
Or, you could set the Linux kernel timezone tz_minuteswest to 300 and
tz_dsttime using settimeofday(2).  This will only be used in smbfs and the
FATxx filesystems and won't be reflected in user space so users of the
system won't be any wiser.
Warning: This is a real hack.  The only real way to fix this is to use a
file system that does timestamps in GMT.
I don't know if any updates have been made to CIFS to exchange file times in
GMT?

Cheers!

Eric