Changing file permissions from NT

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 16:20:17 GMT 1998

> We run a Network of Suns (running Samba) and PC-NT (version 4, sp3)
> machines, at work, and find it very annoying to be unable to change
> the file permissions of files from NT on the Suns. Is there any way
> to change the permissions from NT file explorer or otherwise ?
>
> Dave Kirkby

I too have asked about this and really there is nothing much that can be done
simply - basicly Windows sees a DOS filesystem (as offered by Samba) and all
that can be changed is the Write bits (via read-only flag) and execute bits to
match system and hidden attributes.

There is a work around in using "magic files" which allow a user to execute
command under unix - a bit risky and too general in my view.

Of course you can set what the permissions will be for all files & directories
within a share will be and by and large that is adequate.

See samba archives - back to 10th Nov - especially excellent summary by Mac
<dmccann at nibsc.ac.uk> - digest 1872