Synchonisation between NIS and encrypted SMBPASSWD

Rainer Hauck hauck at nm.informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Dec 4 17:17:21 GMT 1998

>Hello,
>
>does somebody have a tool to convert a /etc/passwd to a smbpasswd with
getting
>a valid Lan Manager and NT hash.
>or does anybody have a trick, how I can synchronise the /etc/passwd
with the
>smbpasswd without changing a unix passwd twice (passwd,smbpasswd).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Martin

Martin

that's exactly what I need aswell. The problem is that NIS-passwd
commands require the old password, even when called by root which is not
given by smbpasswd (you can use %o in your chat script but it never gets
transmitted).

We already tried to write shell-scripts to be called by smbpasswd which
directly change the entry in the /etc/passwd file but stopped this due
to security considerations.

To my opinion the only (sensible) solution to this problem is to include
the support for the old password (%o) in smbpasswd. I know it's not done
due to compatibility reasons but maybe it could be integrated as an
option?

Rainer

--
        _  _ _  _ _  _          RAINER HAUCK
        |\/| |\ | |\/|          Institut fuer Informatik / Dept. of CS
        |  | | \| |  |          Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich
     ======= TEAM =======       Oettingenstr. 67, 80538 Munich, Germany
Munich Network Management Team  Room D01,Phone +49-89-2178-2155,Fax-2262
Muenchner Netz-Management Team  email: hauck at informatik.uni-muenchen.de