DHCP & Samba - Server can't see clients

Paul Cochrane paulc at dth.scot.nhs.uk
Fri Dec 4 09:31:38 GMT 1998

Hi there,

I just playing around at the moment with the idea of putting in a DHCP server
alongside my Samba stuff. On my test server I'm having problems seeing the
client machines (test 4 or  5) in the DIAGNOSIS readme.

The server can see the clients as the general name search works and returns
the IP of the clients.

I think it's something to do with the DNS and WINS not wanting to play with
each other. For example, the server is called HOME (both DNS & WINS, static
IP) and trying to connect with a DHCP laptop. The laptop WINS name is
LAPTOP but the DNS name is DHCP202. Wherever the server tries to connect
to the client with smbclient it hangs. I think it might be searching for
laptop.dns.search.path which as far as DNS is concerned is rubbish.

The client can connect to the server without any problems, it's only the reverse
which doesn't quite work. Anyone any ideas? (apart from any client shares
being given a static IP address)

Cheers

Paul Cochrane         |  Dundee Limb Fitting Centre   |
                      | 133 Queen Street              |
                      | Broughty Ferry,               |
                      | Dundee, Scotland, UK.         |
                      | DD5 1AG.                      |