Question on NFS mounted Shares

James Strauch jamey at beasys.com
Thu Dec 3 23:24:35 GMT 1998

Hello Sambites....

I have a question. Has anyone been able to successfully create a Samba
Share on
an NFS mounted filesystem. I am running Samba-1.9.18p7 on a Solaris 2.6 box.
The file system that is shared is now a NFS mounted file system from another
Solaris 2.5.1 box. But I am getting errors when trying to access it from my NT
worksataion (nt4sp3 with PlainText Reg Edit).

\\svlbkupsvr\what is Not Accessable. The network name cannot be found.

Snipped from smb.conf

# Samba Standard Configuration File
# Jamey Strauch 5.27.98
#
#
#
#
[global]
;       security = user
;       security = share
        password level = 2
        server string = BEA Samba Server
        workgroup = BEACORP
        guest account = samba
        ;encrypt passwords = no
        homedir map = auto_home
        guest ok = yes
        os level = 32
        browseable = yes
        config file = /usr/local/samba/smb.conf
        status = yes
        log level = 1
        log file = /usr/local/samba/log.smb
[what]
        path = /export/backup1/%u
; this is the nfs mounted file system from another Solaris server
; Unix level access to NFS mount works fine.
        browseable = yes
       guest ok = no
        public = yes
        read only = no