Smbclient bind to IP

Foster Jeffrey C jfoste at wgc.woodward.com
Thu Dec 3 20:21:30 GMT 1998

> Subject: Re: Smbclient bind to IP
>
> > We are running a Sequent unix database server that uses smbclient to print through the NT servers.  Our network
> > has mulitple sites connected via frame relay.  Now the problem;  we have been attempting to tune the network to
> > improve database response.  And would like to have the smbclient bind to a second IP address on our Sequent box
> > so we can prioritize traffic based upon the source IP address.  Will smbclient support this ?  Does anyone want
> > this ?  I could hack the code to add it, but don't want to create a non-standard smbclient that I would have to
> > support.
> Hi
>
> I guess the "Interfaces" option in smb.conf does the trick. This will
> however also let smbd and nmbd bind to the addresse(s) given there. If you
> don´t want this, you have to use a separate smb.conf for them.
>
> Greetings, Florian Pflug

Thanks,  that works for me.  The only catch is that you can't specify a config file (smb.conf) on the command line; you have to
use the default (usually /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf).  So if you want different smb.conf files for nmbd/smbd and smbclient
you will have modify the Makefiles or specify a different smb.conf on the nmbd/smbd command line.

Jeff Foster