W95/98 connect to any SMB share as another user? (SAMBA dige

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Wed Dec 2 23:13:22 GMT 1998

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 03:33:36 +1100, mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu wrote:

>>> map H: as \\machine1\share1 as username=John, password=JohnsPassword
>>> map M: as \\machine2\share2 as username=Jane, password=JanesPassword
>>>
>>> Even logging out and back in will only allow one of these to be mounted
>>> at a time.  Some of these shares are on Samba, but some are not.
>>
>>On Samba you can try this:
>>Net Use \\Machine1\share1%John
>>Net Use \\Machine2\share2%Jane
>
>Thanks to the many people who suggested this.  It works with Samba, but
>doesn't solve the problem when the share is coming from W95/W98/WNT.  Is
>there a workaround/utility which will address that limitation?

There's an ugly workaround:

	net use \\ip\share3 /user:username

"ip" means you have to type the ip address of the server.

You might try to put another netbios name for the same server into your local
lmhosts and enable lmhosts resolution. I did not try this, but chances are this
could work also.

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)