Getting smbpasswd file to work alongside unencrypted ones

Langsteiner Martin ZFF IE-F martin.langsteiner at zf-group.de
Tue Dec 1 07:51:04 GMT 1998

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Dr R L Oswald wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get the smbpasswd file to operate alongside using
> the cleartext UNIX passwords ?

Yes we have. But, differing from your environment, we are using an NT
password server, i. e. 'security = server'. This allows us access with both
encrypted and plain passwords, even without that SMB password file! ( I have
removed it, actually!)

Some time ago, we also had 'security = share'. There was one Linux machine
with Samba 1.9.18p10. Then, the NT 4 SP3 machines appeared, forcing us to
use encrypted passwords. So I setup an SMB password file, and it worked both
for NT 4 and WFWG users. When we then switched to 'security = server', the
Windows machines didn't even ask for a password anymore when connecting to a
Samba share.
Now any user registered on the NT domain server (that is, the password
server) may login to the Domain from his PC and then connect to the Samba
shares without having his own account on the Samba server.

Hope this helps

Martin