File permissions problem - Visible Analyst

marlys.a.nelson at uwrf.edu marlys.a.nelson at uwrf.edu
Tue Dec 1 01:48:37 GMT 1998

I have Samba 1.9.18p10 running on linux 2.0.35.  It's being used
largely as a file server for student email, netscape bookmarks, Word
papers, etc. from Win95 clients.  The configuration is pretty much the
defaults.

We have an application called Visible Analyst (VA) that needs to be
used by a few users.  The bulk of the application files are shared but
a few need to be available at startup time for each user.

Our strategy was to install VA so that the application files were
copied to a Netware file server volume and then point the user's data
directory to a folder in the user's samba share.

Now when we run VA, it complains that the file permissions are wrong
on the user's data directory.  As far as I can tell, the permissions
are ok.  The user is allowed to read/write/delete existing files in
the folder and to create new files.  If the folder in the samba share
are copied to the computer's c: drive, it works.  It also works if the
folder is copied to a Netware volume.  So it seems that the concept of
separating the user's data area on a drive different than the
application files works, it just doesn't work if that drive is a samba
share.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this?  Or, how I
might track down what permissions are wanted?  Or, could there be some
locking being attempted that isn't handled correctly?

I tried increasing the logging level but this is an extremely busy
file server and trying to find the log output from this one particular
process was pretty impossible.

--
Marlys A. Nelson                      Sr. Systems Programmer
Information Technology Services       Network Services
410 South Third Street                Email: Marlys.A.Nelson at uwrf.edu
River Falls  WI  54022                http://www.uwrf.edu/