Samba & Win98

marchino at leotron.com marchino at leotron.com
Mon Aug 24 16:06:27 GMT 1998

Hello everybody!

this is my second post, as nobody answered my first question. I think it was
too general, so this time I'll try to be more specific.
I've installed a Samba box based on Slakware Linux 3.0 kernel 2.0.34, samba
1.9.18p8. This box is installed in a small local network with a NT4 Server and a
Novell 4.01 Server. Clients are all Windows 95 except for two Win98 units.

Samba server has worked fine until Win98 appeared, then they started having
problems. The problem is related to the use of different applications.

For example, they use an invoice application based on a MDB database stored
on Samba share. The client access the db using an ODBC driver. If the client is
Win95, everything works fine. If the same application runs on Win98, the
application fails reading the database and showing an error message like "I/O
error to the file". Sometimes (very seldom actually) the file gets corrupted,
normally it doesn't.
An important thing is this: the problem arises only if the database is shared by
more than one operator. It seems (but I'm not really sure) that if the db is used
by just one client, it works correctly. I want to point out that the problem comes
only if one of the clients is using Win98. If all the clients are Win95 everything
works fine.

Enclosed you'll find smb.conf and a piece of the errorlog (level=5).

Hope somebody could help,

marchino

If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any another MIME-compliant system,