WINS server usage

David Collier-Brown davecb at Canada.Sun.COM
Mon Aug 24 11:47:16 GMT 1998

Michael Derousselle asked:
> To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
> Subject: WINS server usage
>
> I have a class C address space divided into 3 subnets. I have a
> Samba server on each subnet and all 3 subnets are under the same
> Domain/Workgroup. My browsing works fine. But when the frame relay
> between the subnets goes down, the 2 subnets that don't have the WINS
> server local cant find their local Samba server.
>
> Do I need to have a WINS server on each subnet to keep this
> from happening? Is it OK to do that?

	Yes, this is the case with both WINS and DNS:
	you need a secondary on each net that might become
	disconnected.

	However, what you're actually describing is ``browse
	masters'', machines which keep lists of servers.
	To oversimplify, you need a local browse master
	per subnet, and a master master on the main main net net.
	BROWSING.txt describes this.

	Do have one WINS or DNS server per net, too...

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | Cherish your enemies.  They're harder to
185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | come by than friends and more motivated.