Can't connect, even to myself

Charles F. Bearden cbearden at ruf.rice.edu
Mon Aug 24 00:40:42 GMT 1998

I have a two-node home network: a Linux machine (RH 5.0,
samba-1.9.17p4-3.rpm, also running bind as authoritative
for my home domain) and Win 95 with Client for MS Net &
File & Print sharing.   Linux = calvin.home = 10.5.1.1.
Win95 = hodge.home = 10.5.1.10.  Calvin is the default gateway for
the Win95 box, since I often connect via PPP to the Internet, and
I've set up IP Masqerading (I don't load the firewalling rules
until I'm connected, and the default policies are accept).

When I first set up the network last weekend, file & print sharing
worked fine.  I was able to back up files from the Win95 box to
shares on the Linux box, and I was able to copy files from the
Linux box to the Win95 machine, and to use its printer as well.
I have previously set up a small samba installation on the same version
of Linux at my previous place of work.

Sometime yesterday, after playing around with aliased interfaces etc.
on the Linux machine, samba stopped working (although smbd & nmbd are
still running).  I may have done something to confuse my networking
subsystem, and I did have to boot into single-user mode to delete an
ifcfg-eth0:0 file and nullify a static-route file (boot was otherwise
hanging).

After trying this and that today, I uninstalled samba altogether and
reinstalled it.  One thing I noticed was that the unistall routine
didn't remove /var/lock/samba and its files, so I did so manually.
STATUS..LCK hadn't been modified since Aug 17 (today is Aug 23).

After resintalling and starting with a fresh smb.conf, it still
doesn't work.  Nothing in DIAGNOSIS.txt seemed to correspond precisely
to my problems.  There is still no STATUS..LCK file in /var/lock/samba,
despite several attempts to connect from both machines.  The Win95 box
can't access samba via "net view \\calvin", even if I preload calvin
from the lmhosts file--it says that the computer is not receiving
connections.  As the evidence below indicates, the smbd is denying
connections from its own machine via smbclient.

I'm pretty sure that my DNS is set up properly.  Both hosts are
resolvable via nslookup.  I don't have the Win95 box in my /etc/hosts,
so it is being resolved from the named conf files.  Other IP services
work fine: I can telnet & ftp from the Win95 box to the Linux box with
no problems.

I'm almost ready to back up my personal data and reinstall Linux from
the ground up.  If anyone sees the answer in my description and appended
evidence, or has a lead for me to follow, I will be very grateful to
learn of it.  I will be glad to furnish a complete copy of my smb.conf
to anyone who thinks it might be useful.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Chuck

smbstatus
---------
[chuck at calvin chuck]$ smbstatus
Couldn't open status file /var/lock/samba/STATUS..LCK

Relevant portion of smb.conf
(otherwise, I've added two basic
shares and commented out
[Printers] and [Homes])
----------------------------
interfaces = 10.5.1.1/24
socket address = 10.5.1.1
allow hosts = 10.5.1.0/24
netbios name = calvin
log level = 5

Results of testparm when hostname & IP specified
[chuck at calvin chuck]$ testparm /etc/smb.conf calvin 10.5.1.1
Load smb config files from /etc/smb.conf
doing parameter printing = bsd
doing parameter printcap name = /etc/printcap
doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
doing parameter max log size = 50
doing parameter short preserve case = yes
doing parameter preserve case = yes
doing parameter lock directory = /var/lock/samba
doing parameter locking = yes
doing parameter strict locking = yes
doing parameter share modes = yes
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY
Processing section "[zip]"
doing parameter comment = Zip Drive
doing parameter path = /mnt/zip
doing parameter valid users = chuck
doing parameter writable = yes
doing parameter printable = no
doing parameter browsable = yes
doing parameter valid users = @users
Processing section "[backup]"
doing parameter comment = Backup Space
doing parameter path = /usr/backup
doing parameter public = no
doing parameter writable = yes
doing parameter printable = no
doing parameter browsable = yes
doing parameter valid users = @users
doing parameter create mask = 0700
pm_process() returned Yes
adding IPC service
Loaded services file OK.
Deny connection from calvin (10.5.1.1) to zip
Deny connection from calvin (10.5.1.1) to backup
Deny connection from calvin (10.5.1.1) to IPC$

Results of connecting to self with smbclient
[root at calvin faq]# smbclient -L calvin
doing parameter printing = bsd
doing parameter printcap name = /etc/printcap
doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
doing parameter max log size = 50
doing parameter short preserve case = yes
doing parameter preserve case = yes
doing parameter lock directory = /var/lock/samba
doing parameter locking = yes
doing parameter strict locking = yes
doing parameter share modes = yes
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter socket options = TCP_NODELAY
pm_process() returned Yes
adding IPC service
Added interface ip=10.5.1.1 bcast=10.5.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Opening sockets
Connecting to 10.5.1.1 at port 139
Connected
Unknown socket option TCP_NODELAY
Sent session request
Session request failed (131,129) with myname=CALVIN destname=CALVIN
Not listening for calling name
Try to connect as another name (instead of CALVIN)
You may find the -n option useful for this

Lines written to /var/log/messages as a result of above connection attempt
[...]
08/23/98 15:03:58 changed root to /
priming nmbd
sending a packet of len 1 to (127.0.0.1) on port 137 of type DGRAM
08/23/98 15:03:58 Connection denied from 10.5.1.1
Closing connections
08/23/98 15:03:58 Server exit  (connection denied)